Sunday, August 28, 2011

Back to School!

Gosh! Sorry I haven't been on much...life has just been so crazy busy!  I guess it's just summertime.  Friday I went all day to our state fair with my mom and a couple of her friends....




Then today Wy and I spent all day at Vallyfair, a local amusement park:



Not a lot of time for crafting...but I did fit in a little bit! Wanna see....?  =D

It's that time of year again...all the kiddies are headed back to school.  In honor of that occurrence, Tiddly Inks challenged us to create a bookmark.  Now, I've never created a bookmark before, so I was kind of excited.  I've been seeing a lot of corner bookmarks around Blogland in the past few months, and I've always wanted to try making one.  So, I decided to find a fun tutorial and try it out.  (The tutorial I found is here on Split Coast Stampers.)


And here's a close-up of just the bookmark:


I used the adorable Schoolgirl and Extras, colored with Copics, Spica markers and STICKLES!  =D  The sentiment on the side of the book says "Never judge a book by its cover."  I think that's good advice for everyone, but especially the kids.  Sometimes at a young age it's too easy to go along with the group and make snap judgments about other people...I thought this would be a nice little reminder to give everyone a chance.  =D

Well, I'm pretty happy with how this turned out.  (Trust me, the skirt looks much better IRL. LOL)  I'm really excited that I tried this, and I can't wait to make another one.

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by!  We'll see you soon!


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great bookmark and yikes on those coasters, pretty high up they are. Glad you had a good weekend, the kids don't go back to school here until this coming Monday.

Enjoy, hugs, Lori m

Kelly said...

Awesome bookmark. I love the kind that fit over the corner. Looks like you had a great time at the amusement park.

Unknown said...

This is wonderful! I love the colors and sentiment. Glad you could join us st Tiddly Inks this week!

Scrappychick said...

What a fun day!! Love the book mark and all the extra sparklies!! her skirt is to die for!! Thanks for visiting me today :)

Lynn Weber said...

Starla- this book mark is AWESOME!!! I would never get any reading done, I'd be starring at your beauitful book mark instead-lol!! What a great job you did w/your coloring, love'n the glitter skirt!!! I really like the pink w/the navy & gold, I would never have thought of that, but think I'm going to have to scraplift this color combo : ) Perfect saying for the bookmark- you ROCKED this, girlfriend!!!!!!

Kim Kelley said...

GORGEOUS!!!! I love it Starla! The colors are so vibrant and the image is perfect!

mfc.melissamade2 said...

What a fabulous bookmark!!! Gorgeous colors and I LOVE the added sparkle! Thanks for joining us at Tiddly Inks this week!
Hugs,
M

Lau W said...

Oh thanks for sharing your shots of this beautiful w-e !
Your bookmark is superb, love it !
xxx

ccroll said...

Ahhh! Nicely done on the bookmark and the amusement park looks like a blast! :)